Code of Ethics
The following Australasian Branch Code of Ethics and the International Association's Code of Ethics shall be adhered to as a condition of membership or affiliation with the Association.
The Australasian Branch Code of Ethics:
- Members shall observe the highest of moral principles and shall perform their professional duties in accordance with the law.
- Members shall at all times act with integrity, truthfulness and honesty.
- Members shall observe diligence in the discharge of their professional responsibilities.
- Members shall not divulge information in an inappropriate or unlawful manner and shall exercise due care to prevent unlawful or improper disclosure.
- Members shall not maliciously injure the reputation or professional practice of colleagues, employers, insured’s claimants or other parties to an investigation.
- Members shall at all times display the requisite integrity to make the right decision when faced with potential conflicts of interest.
- Members shall not act in any way as to bring the Association into disrepute.
The International Association's Code of Ethics:
- I will, as an auto theft investigator, regard myself as a member of an important and honorable profession.
- I will conduct both my personal and official life so as to inspire the confidence of the public.
- I will not use my profession and my position of trust for personal advantage or profit.
- I will regard my fellow investigators with the same standards as I hold for myself.
- I will never betray a confidence or otherwise jeopardize their investigations.
- I will regard it my duty to know my work thoroughly.
- It is my further duty to avail myself of every opportunity to learn more about my profession.
- I will avoid alliances with those whose goals are inconsistent with an honest and unbiased investigation.
- I will make no claim to professional qualifications, which I do not possess.
- I will share all publicity equally with my fellow investigators, whether such publicity is favorable or unfavorable.
- I will be loyal to my superiors; to my subordinates and to the organization I represent.
- I will bear in mind always that I am a truth-seeker, not a case-maker.